I'm a Singapore event photographer; specializing in corporate events, weddings and birthday parties.

2011-02-25

Clarke Quay, Singapore


  • Nikon D7000, 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 
  • At f4, 18mm, 1/60 seconds, ISO 720.
  • Center-weighted metering, aperture priority, auto ISO.

Okay it's touristy, but I was there and the light was good. About 7pm, so the buildings are lit up but the sky is still bright.

I like this shot because of the view of the diners at the bottom left. You only get this view within a small area on the bridge. A few meters left or right and you don't see it. I think most people who walk around the area won't notice this photo-taking spot.

Compositionally, there are three elements that make the photo work: row of buildings on top, diners at the bottom left, boats at the bottom right. Oh yeah, the sky too.

I set aperture priority f4 instead of f3.5 because I find the fractional f stop annoying. Shutter speed was controlled via minimum shutter speed setting on the auto ISO, which is why you get a weird fractional ISO of 720. So basically this is aperture and shutter priority with the exposure controlled by ISO.

Center-weighted works because the scene is still quite evenly lit by daylight. Later in the evening, I switched to manual exposure and adjusted off the LCD playback.