I'm a Singapore event photographer; specializing in corporate events, weddings and birthday parties.

2011-05-27

Youth Park, *Scape


The Youth Park is part of the irritatingly-named *Scape ( http://www.scape.com.sg/venue_os.asp ) area near Orchard Road, set aside for youth facilities and activities. Note that the website domain name is scape.com, because you can't put a "*" in a domain name. Nice going guys, good job confusing people. 

The bus is a real derelict, as far as I can tell. I remember a cafe being inside, but that doesn't seem to have worked out. "Graffiti" on the benches are commissioned and officially sanctioned. I mean, this is Singapore. Before you start romanticizing about real graffiti, read Heather Mac Donald's article, Radical Graffiti Chic ( http://city-journal.org/2011/21_2_vandalism.html ).
  • Nikon D7000, 35mm f1.8
  • At 35mm, f4, ISO 1600, 1/60 seconds
  • Program exposure, center-weighted metering, auto white balance
  • Picasa: Auto contrast, crop, straighten
I increased ISO until the Program mode set aperture to f4. Wanted at least f4 to get both the bus and the benches in focus. The benches are important to add interest to the photo. If it's just the bus, the photo wouldn't be as interesting. I didn't think of using the benches at first. It's only after walking 360 degrees around the bus that I saw that the benches would work.