I'm a Singapore event photographer; specializing in corporate events, weddings and birthday parties.

2012-11-11

Singapore Cricket Club, International Rugby 7s


You don't see much rugby in Singapore, which is a pity. It certainly has more action than soccer. It's like a combination of soccer and wrestling.

The event was held at the historic Padang ("field") in the center of town.
 
  • Nikon D7000, 55-300mm f4.5-5.6
  • At 280mm, f5.6, ISO 220, 1/1000 seconds
  • Manual exposure with auto ISO, center-weighted metering, auto white balance
  • Picasa: Crop
This is one of the few times when I used auto ISO. Most of the time I'm shooting indoors or outdoors at night, where it's more convenient to go to full manual (including manual ISO) because of the tricky lighting.

I set the exposure to manual because I knew what shutter speed and aperture I wanted (1/1000 seconds to freeze the action - you rarely need a higher speed, f5.6 as a good compromise aperture for getting enough in focus while still blurring out the background - which is why I left the heavy 70-200mm f2.8 at home) and let the camera adjust the ISO automatically.

This way, you get to use low ISO when the sun is out (for less electronic noise in the image), higher ISO only when the clouds come out (and they did).