I'm a Singapore event photographer; specializing in corporate events, weddings and birthday parties.

2012-09-27

Chinatown Mid-autumn Festival Lantern Light-up


Lantern wall at Pagoda Street entrance to Chinatown MRT train station.

I spent the evening, walking around Chinatown, taking photos of the lanterns strung across the roads. My favorite photo turned out to be this one, taken as I was going home. 
  • Nikon D7000, 18-105mm f3.5-5.6
  • At 18mm, f5.6, ISO 6400, 1/350 seconds
  • Program mode, center-weighted metering, auto white balance
  • Picasa: Straighten, crop, auto contrast
ISO 6400 wasn't necessary, could have done fine with ISO 1600. I was using ISO 6400 to test how it looked. Have been using ISO 1600 for a while, am confident that the image quality is good enough. Now trying to build up some experience with ISO 6400 under different situations.

I was on manual exposure most of the time but I switched to auto because
  • These lanterns were brighter than the rest of the area.
  • With so many lanterns, exposure was even across the scene.
  • People were walking to the escalator and I didn't want to stop and block them.