I'm a Singapore event photographer; specializing in corporate events, weddings and birthday parties.

2012-09-18

Cathay Cineleisure Orchard


Famous cinema multiplex off Orchard road. Mandarin Orchard hotel is in the background on the right.

I have some hazy memories of the old Cathay cinema that was torn down years ago, to make way for this modern cineplex. I'm a bit of a movie buff, so I hang out at theaters a lot.

The bright colors makes it easy to create an interesting photograph. The challenge lies in cropping out distracting details from the edge of the frame, to create a neat composition. I zoomed out a bit to give me some margin to play with, and edited the exact crop later on the PC. 
  • Nikon D7000, 18-105mm f3.5-5.6
  • At 52mm, f8, ISO 100, 1/250 seconds
  • Aperture priority, center-weighted metering, auto white balance
  • Picasa: Auto contrast, crop, shadows
The D7000 has an unfortunate tendency to over-expose in bright sunlight. This has been pointed out in a number of online reviews. I had to use Picasa's shadow function to reduce exposure one stop.